Mold Inspection

Common Causes for Mold in Your Home

Mold is the result of secondary moisture or water damage in your home, that has been left untreated. The most common sources of water damage are broken pipes, appliance leaks, roof leaks, sewer backup, foundation cracks and flooding.

You should have your home tested for mold if:

You are experiencing any of the following symptoms:

  • You or a family member are frequently experiencing allergic symptoms, such as stuffy head, headaches, scratchy throat, runny nose, skin rash or itching (dermatitis).
  • You think you see mold but are unable to identify if it is mold.
  • Your home has a musty odor.
  • If you have ever had plumbing leaks or water issues in your home.
  • A landlord or tenant requiring evidence whether there is a mold problem.
  • After mold removal has been done to ensure mold levels have normalized.
  • Make sure your family is breathing high quality clean air in your home.
  • You are a buyer or seller in a real estate transaction.

A general assessment of your indoor air quality is never a bad idea, since we spend a majority of our time living indoors. The quality of air inside a house is very important and directly affects the health and safety of you and your family, especially young children and senior.

Elevated levels of moisture that remain present for too long is a guarantee that some type of fungus, such as mildew or mold, will start to develop. Even treated water from a burst pipe can become extremely contaminated if left for 48 to 72 hours. The more contaminated, the more types of fungus will grow. Mold only requires moisture and a food source to grow.

Not every type of mold is toxic, but some are more harmful than others. By identifying them, we are able to reduce your exposure to them. And thanks to thermal imaging, our inspectors have the ability to examine roofs, floors and walls for moisture intrusions, more thoroughly than the competition.

Harmful Types of Mold


Commonly referred to as “black mold,” stachybotrys is one of the most dangerous types of mold and can cause flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, headaches, memory loss and severe respiratory damage. Because their lungs are still developing, children are at an even greater risk for health problems associated with exposure to black mold.

Black mold is dark in color, but can also be grey or dark green. It typically has a very musty or mildewy odor and is found in very damp areas of homes.


Chaetomium is most commonly found in homes that have water damage, as it thrives in wet, dark environments such as drywall, wallpaper, baseboards and carpets. This type of mold is similar to black mold and can share the same environments.

Along with general signs of allergies such as red, watery eyes and trouble breathing, chaetomium spores can also cause neurological damage and certain autoimmune diseases.


Aspergillus spores are present in the air that many of us breathe every day, this type of mold can be dangerous to people with comprised immune systems. Exposure to aspergillus may cause allergic reactions, lung infections and a specific type of infection known as aspergillosis.


Like aspergillus, penicillium is found in many everyday environments, but if trapped inside your home, it can cause asthmatic symptoms, bronchitis and other respiratory problems.


Fusarium is a type of mold that is most commonly found in plant debris and soil, but it can also be found in very damp areas of your home such as underneath carpeting, inside drywall or foam insulation and in humidifier pans and HVAC systems.

Although it’s rare, a serious eye infection called fusarium keratitis can result from exposure to fusarium spores.


A well-known allergy-causing mold, alternaria is present in high amounts in many climate zones during the spring and summer. This type of mold is usually not found in building materials, it can be present in the air inside your home and may be found in electric cables, cardboard, canvas and other textiles.

No matter what type of mold you’re dealing with, it’s best to remove the problem as soon as possible, even if no one has fallen ill. If you have mold, then it’s likely you are dealing with a moisture problem that will eventually contribute to even more mold growth.

Lab results will show exactly what species of mold are present in the areas tested along with the quantity of each.
Our report will have a detailed step by step procedure for mold removal. It will include where the source of the problem is, how far it has spread, and what needs to be done to fix it.

It is also possible that the tests collected will show that you have acceptable levels of mold within your indoor environment. In this situation you will be notified that no further action is required.